Photography by Dave Wolpert ©2021
Despite a good start on Friday for Virginia Tech’s Chris Gerard the Hokies couldn’t hang on to take the series against visiting Florida State. Gerard got his third start of the season and allowed two hits, no earned runs and eight strikeouts. He picked up the 100th strikeout of his career.
Florida State had a season high 18 hits and 14 runs on Sunday to defeat the then ranked No. 18 Hokies in Blacksburg and take the weekend ACC series. Parker Messick, who was Friday’s starting pitcher ended up as Sunday’s designated hitter and went 3-for-5 with a solo shot in the first. The Noles catcher Mat Nelson also got in on the action with a three-run homer in the first that got scoring underway for Florida State.
Robby Martin brought home a grand slam in the ninth inning to help put a cap on the weekend.
Pictures from Friday’s Florida State vs Virginia Tech game.
- Dana Evans Projected First Round Pick In WNBA Draft
- Sports News 7 – ACC Nation Podcast
- Opinions, Everyone Has One. College Baseball’s Top 25
- Very Early Preview 2021-22 ACC Men’s Basketball
- Hokies Baseball Takes Series With Eagles – In Pictures-Dave Wolpert