After four years as a head coach at the collegiate level Jeff Hafley departs Boston College to join the Green Bay Packers. Prior to coming on board with the Eagles, Hafley spent a season at Ohio State as the co-defensive coordinator and DB coach. From 2011-2018 Hafley was DB coach at Tampa Bay, Cleveland and San Francisco.
Hafley took Boston College to bowl appearances in three of his four seasons with the program and finished this year off with a win against soon-to-be ACC member, No. 22 SMU in the Fenway Bowl. Overall, Hafley recorded a 22-26 record heading up the Eagles.
According to reporting by ESPN, Hafley had resisted prior NFL coaching opportunities however his reasons for taking this position with the Packers reflects the overall state of college football. “He wants to go coach football again in a league that is all about football,” a source told ESPN. “College coaching has become fundraising, NIL and recruiting your own team and transfers. There’s no time to coach football anymore.”
Hafley is a longtime friend of Packers coach Matt LaFleur and is known to be an admirer of the Packers.
Director of Athletics Blake James thanked Hafley for his dedicated service to his players and BC football since being named head coach in December of 2019.
“We are incredibly grateful to Coach Hafley for his service to Boston College and to our student-athletes,” said James. “He was a true ambassador of our institution, and under his leadership, the Eagles earned three bowl berths, excelled academically, and represented Boston College with class and distinction.”
A national search for a new head coach is already underway and a number of names have popped up as potential candidates. 247Sports’ Brandon Marcello posted a list shortly after the announcement and we’ve added a few additional names and notes –
- Bob Chesney, JMU * David Teel of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported Chesney will remain at JMU
- Jason Candle, Toledo *Matt Fortuna of The Inside Zone says Candle as a candidate is ‘front and center’ while Joe Harasymiak is an up-and-comer
- Todd Monken, Ravens OC
- Jeff Monken, Army
- Mike Reed, Clemson *Former BC player, solid college and professional resume
- Liam Coen, Kentucky *Actively being recruited. Interviewed for Tampa Bay OC spot.
- Al Golden, Notre Dame *Former BC assistant coach and head coach at Miami. Talk includes adding Irish DL coach Al Washington, a former player who pursued the spot in 2019.
- Kyle Flood, Texas