At a minimum, the ACC is about to deliver 14 players into the pro’s via the 2017 MLB Draft.
The Minnesota Twins are up to the plate first in this year’s draft. There’s plenty of speculation as to who will be the top pick. But, so far teams are doing a great job of not showing their hands.
The players likely to be among the top 5 picked included Louisville’s Brendan McKay. The MLB’s Jonathan Mayo has a rundown of those picks and where they’re likely headed in The Rundown.
Who are the Top Prospects coming out of the ACC this year?
- J. B. Bukauskas, RHP, North Carolina
- Ernie Clement, SS, Virginia
- Kyle Datres, 3B, North Carolina
- Drew Ellis, 3B, Louisville
- Stuart Fairchild, OF, Wake Forest
- Devin Hairston, SS, Louisville
- Adam Haseley, OF/LHP, Virginia
- Brendan McKay, LHP/1B, Louisville
- Brian Miller, OF, North Carolina
- Gavin Sheets, 1B, Wake Forest
- Pavin Smith, 1B, Virginia
- Peter Solomon, RHP, Notre Dame
- Taylor Walls, SS, Florida State
- Logan Warmoth, SS, North Carolina
Jonathan Mayo’s Mock Draft has five players from the ACC to go in the first round of the MLB Draft.
- #4 Brendan McKay – Tampa Bay Rays
- #6 Pavin Smith – Oakland A’s
- #7 J.B. Bukauskas – Arizona Diamondbacks
- #8 Adam Haseley – Philadelphia Phil’s
- #22 Logan Warmoth – Toronto Blue Jays
McKay, Smith and Kyle Wright out of Vanderbilt, among others, are still in the mix with the Twins. So, their ultimate destination won’t be know until at least Monday night.
MLB Draft Notes
Jim Callis of the MLB.com offered some insight as to how teams might use the talents of Brendan McKay.
- Twins – Pitching
- Reds – Pitching
- Padres – Pitching
- Rays – Hitting
- Braves – Hitting
“Teams that prefer McKay as a pitcher envision him as a potential No. 2 starter. Clubs that like him more as a position player believer that he could be the best all-around hitter available, capable of batting .300 with 20 homes per year.”
Callis also looked at J.B. Bukauskas and thinks he’s a safe bet to go either at #6 to the A’s or #7 to the Diamondbacks.
“Teams that like Bukauskas believe he could possibly contribute in a big league bullpen this summer before transitioning to the front half of a rotation. Others wonder about his lack of size (6 feet), the effort in his delivery and his so-so control and command, and they think he’ll be a reliever in the long term.”
College World Series – Super Regionals
In Callis’ story, “Which Draft prospects have best tools?”, he points to Bukauskas as having the best slider among pitchers
The pitcher with the best change up according to Callis is Clemson’s Charlie Barnes.
The Major League Baseball Draft begins Monday night at 7:00p E. Shortly thereafter, Commissioner Rob Manfred will step to the mic and announce the Twins’ pick.