The green, green grass of home is a welcome sight especially when we’re talking about baseball. Add to that the advantage of playing on one’s home turf and you can’t get much sweeter. So when the schedule keeps you at home for a few weeks to start the season that’s a plus. Of the four ACC teams in the D1Baseball Top 25 and USA Today Coaches’ Poll you’ll find only four losses. That home field advantage looks, feels and smells pretty good right now.
The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) broadens the number of teams included in their poll to 30. In this instance, seven conference teams make the cut.
There is a battle going on within the top 5 of each of these three polls. Last week’s No. 2/1/1 team, LSU, took a dive after being decidely swept on the road at Texas. Those losses helped bring all three polls into agreement with Vanderbilt as the No. 1 team this week.
The ACC currently has (and it’s not a consensus) two teams in the top 10 of the three polls. The USA Today Coaches’ Poll (including the teams in the Receiving Votes category) currently has 9 teams from the conference ranked.
- #3/3/4 North Carolina
- #8/14/13 Louisville
- #11/7/8 Florida State
- #22/17/20 NC State
- RV –
- #26/24 Clemson *Coaches’ Poll/NCBWA
- #28/25 Duke *Coaches’ Poll/NCBWA
- #31/30 Miami*Coaches’ Poll/NCBWA
- #40 Wake Forest *Coaches’ Poll
- #45 Virginia Tech *Coaches’ Poll
Green, Green Grass Of Home
Though the season got underway less than a month ago there are still some interesting team and individual statistics.
- Miami – Batting Average .327
- Louisville – Pitching ERA 1.96
- Robby Martin, FSU – Hits 21, RBI’s 21
- Alex Tural, Miami – HR’s 7
- Sal Frelick, BC – Stolen Bases 11
- Tristin English, GT – Hit By Pitch 7