ACC Nation Staff @accnation –
The All ACC Softball First Team, Player of the Year and Coach of the Year have been announced by the conference. The timing is ideal as the ACC Softball Championship gets underway this afternoon in Tallahassee (more below). The ACC also honored pitcher, defensive player, freshman and second team. Twelve of the conference softball coaches voted on teams and awards.
Cait Brooks, a designated player for Notre Dame has been named Player of the Year. Brooks led the conference in five statistical categories this season.
Brooks led in home runs, batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage and total bases. In addition, she ranked second in RBI’s.
Pitcher of the Year honors go to Virginia Tech’s Carrie Eberle who led the conference with 21 complete games. She was second in overall ERA at 1.66.
The Defensive Player of the Year is Florida State’s Sydney Sherrill. The third baseman had a fielding percentage of .965 with 51 putouts and 115 assists.
Another third baseman in Virginia Tech’s Kelsey Bennett was named the ACC’s Freshman of the Year. Bennett was among the conference’s top 10 in slugging percentage, home runs, on base percentage, batting average and RBI’s.
Subscribed To The ACC Nation Podcast Yet?
The 2019 ACC Softball Coach of the Year honors goes to Virginia Tech’s Pete D’Amour. The Hokies skipper helped lead the team to their first ever Coastal Division championship. The team earned the No. 1 seed in the ACC Softball Championship. They’ll play their first game on Thursday.
All ACC Softball
Kelsey Bennett, Pete D’Amour, Carrie Eberle
All ACC Softball First Team
- Carsyn Gordon, Florida State
- Meghan King, Florida State
- Sydney Sherrill, Florida State
- Katie Krzus, Georgia Tech
- Kristina Burkhardt, North Carolina
- Brittany Pickett, North Carolina
- Cait Brooks, Notre Dame Player of the Year
- Melissa Rochford, Notre Dame
- Payton Tidd, Notre Dame
- Lacy Smith, Virginia
- Jayme Bailey, Virginia Tech
- Kelsey Bennett, Virginia Tech Freshman of the Year
- Carrie Eberle, Virginia Tech Pitcher of the Year
- Keely Rochard, Virginia Tech
- Emma Strouth, Virginia Tech
- Lexi DiEmmanuele, Boston College
- Emme Martinez, Boston College
- Peyton St. George, Duke
- Elizabeth Mason, Florida State
- Anna Shelnutt, Florida State
- Cameron Stanford, Georgia Tech
- Sidney Melton, Louisville
- Megan Dray, North Carolina
- Leah Murray, North Carolina
- Kiani Ramsey, North Carolina
- Sam Russ, NC State
- Emma Clark, Notre Dame
- Olivia Gray, Notre Dame
- Hunter Levesque, Pitt
ACC Softball Championship
The 2019 ACC Softball Championship gets underway today (Wednesday, May 8) in Tallahassee. The Hokies following their win of the Coastal Division earned the No. 1 seed in the tournament. Virginia Tech will play on Thursday at 11:00am ET.
Syracuse and NC State kick off the action this afternoon and are followed by Virginia against Georgia Tech.
In addition to the Hokies, Thursday action will see Louisville and North Carolina in the early afternoon tilt. The Atlantic Division champion Florida State Seminoles will meet the winner of the Cavaliers and Yellow Jackets game. Notre Dame will take on Duke in an early evening game.
The semifinals on Friday are at 1:00 and 3:30pm ET. The championship game will be on Saturday at noon. That game will be carried on ESPN.